I hosted a mini dinner party for a few girlfriends and decided to cook something healthy. I decided to make quinoa with sliced kangaroo and fresh veggies.
This was interesting because one of my guests had never tasted kangaroo before. I didn’t tell her what the meat was until she asked and was pleasantly surprised as she has never been keen to try it. She enjoyed it.
The main elements of this dish were the kangaroo and the quinoa and I’ve recently come to love this superfood.
- I love to use quinoa instead of rice. I find it quite filling but it doesn’t make me feel bloated, like a rice dish does. It is packed with protein and is gluten free. I don’t have any health requirement to eat a gluten free diet, however, I find myself feeling less sluggish and bloated. I like this!
- I also think it is a visually appealing element of a dish, especially the tri colour quinoa I used in this dish.
- Another reason to love quinoa, is the fact that it can be eaten hot or cold and tastes just as good either way because it is neither dry or sticky if cooked correctly.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 cups of cold water
- 1/2 capsicum
- 1 onion
- 1 head of broccoli
- garlic, pepper, salt & chilli flakes for seasoning
To prepare the quinoa:
- Place 1 cup of rinsed quinoa and 2 cups cold water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until water has absorbed.
- Leave for about 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Chop the veg and prepare boiling water for the broccoli and carrots and steam until al dente.
- Prepare the kangaroo by washing and seasoning with sale, pepper and chilli flakes. Place on a hot grill to seal the meat and cook for 4minutes on each side before removing from the heat and allowing to rest.
- I always use meat juices to cook my capsicum and onion so I added the chopped veg to the pan to soften then and add more flavour. I also added garlic and pepper to the pan.
Feel free to share your quinoa recipes and inspire me to try out some new dishes!