I’m back in the kitchen and sharing another recipe for this week. I absolutely love risotto because you can make so many different varieties. It’s also a great start of the week dish to finish off any left over wine from the weekend.
Risotto is vegetarian friendly and works really well in our house as I will be able to add some meat to mine.
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups (1.5L) of vegetable stock
- 1tbspn butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch of asparagus, woody end trimmed and cut into 5 cm length
- 1/2 glass of dry white wine
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup (40g) parmesan cheese
- Bring stock to the boil in air medium sized saucepan over a high heat, then reduce to low heat and allow to simmer.
- Add butter to a frying pan, add chopped red onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until onions are soft.
- add the rice and cook for 1 minute with continuous stirring. Rice should be glassy in appearance.
- Add white wine and still until absorbed.
- Add the stock, 1/2 cup at a time and stir until absorbed. The risotto should be creamy in texture.
- Add the asparagus and spinach and cook for a further 2minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in parmesan before serving with freshly chopped parsley.
For my vegetarian partner, he added cooked tofu and I added cooked chicken to finish it off!