I love this recipe! It requires a little patience making each of the layers separately but the use of coconut oil means that each layer sets quite quickly. There are variations to this recipe in regards to ingredients and it is easy to adapt this recipe to accomodate vegan and gluten free friends.
This recipe is a little more guilt-free (in my opinion) than some of those I’ve seen out there and I didn’t feel bad eating 2 or 3 squares of this slice. Obviously, I am not a dietician but let’s go with it and get on with the baking. You can use a variety of flours in this recipe but my preference is almond meal so the shortbread crust has a nice texture and it sticks well with the wet ingredients. If using coconut flour, reduce the flour measure by one third.
Cooking Time: 9-11mins
Makes 16-20 squares depending on the size.
- Shortbread crust
- 2 cups of almond meal
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ⅓ cup refined coconut oil, (avoids coconut flavour)
- ½ cup crunchy peanut butter- you could also use smooth peanut butter or substitute for a caramel filling
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup refined coconut oil, melted and slightly cool
- Chocolate top
- ¼ cup refined coconut oil, melted and slightly cool
- *200g dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- ¼ cup of chopped nuts, I used unsalted peanuts
- Sea salt/additonal chopped nuts (optional)
*You might opt to use ¼ cup of cocoa powder and 2tbspn of maple syrup instead of chocolate if you want an even healthier option
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Line and lightly grease a 9×9” square pan with coconut oil.
- Put almond meal in a bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir until combined and crumbly. Add the melted coconut oil and mix until a dough forms.
- Press the dough into the pan.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- For the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until all of the ingredients are melted. Stir to combine. Pour over the cooled shortbread, smooth it out and allow to cool and set in the fridge before topping with chocolate layer.
- For the chocolate topping, melt and combine the coconut oil and dark chocolate.
- Add the chopped nuts and stir ingredients together. Cool slightly and pour over the set nutty layer. Smooth evenly and sprinkle with additional nuts or flaky sea salt (optional).
- Cool and set in the fridge before slicing. cool until set. Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.